Port Clinton Yacht Club - Linda Higgins
- Aug 11
- 3 min read

Port Clinton Yacht Club sits on a large plot of land between the Portage River and Lake Erie, with access to the lake via the river. Historically family-oriented, it offers events, private and public, year-round to members, their families, and guests. Aside from the clubhouse, which has a lounge, it offers a pool, two sand beaches, tennis, shuffleboard, sailing, boating, and a marina, among many other amenities. There is no restaurant, but potlucks and other food-based gatherings have been popular there since the club’s inception.
In fact, in the early 20th century, the wooded acreage attracted a group of men who happened upon the area and thought it would be an excellent spot for picnics and boating and swimming with their wives and children. They found this unspoiled spot just north of the Portage River during walks from town across an iron swing bridge spanning the river. Commercial fishing boats connected with the many fisheries would travel under the bridge. The quiet walk over the bridge led to a path that passed a hobo camp known as “Brooklyn.” An unpretentious but solid building sat in the marsh they eventually reached.
It was owned by the US government, so in order to make their dream work, negotiations with the government began. Between 1907 and 1914, the group met regularly to develop their plan and negotiate. The sturdy building was transformed into a clubhouse, which at a later date was discovered to have a barge as its foundation. With no docks or marina, those involved tied their boats to stakes, and laid planks from each boat to the bank.
Finally, on December 7, 1915, a lease was negotiated with the Secretary of War for the targeted property, from the center line of Madison Street to the center line of Jefferson, but north of the actual streets. S. P. Alexander was the first commodore, for two years. In September 1916, the club adopted its first constitution and by-laws. Eligible members included women. The constitution went into effect in 1917 for three classes of members: Active, Associate (I-LYA members who lived more than 17 “motoring miles” from Port Clinton, with no vote) and Honorary. The membership fee was five dollars, with five dollars annual dues.
By 1918, members decided that no person eligible for membership living within a “motoring distance of 17 miles” could be a guest, except “every unmarried male member shall have the privilege of entertaining at the club, when accompanied by him, lady guests not exceeding two without regard to place of residence and without registration.” All visitors registered in a special book: name, host, then residence, and the yacht club to which they belonged.
The constitution was again amended in 1919: “No person shall be eligible to the office of Commodore, who, at the time of his election, does not own a yacht or powerboat duly registered in the club at the time of his election.” In the 20s, a lagoon was dredged for boats (inboards and canoes, at that time), and the anchor from the Niagara, Commodore Perry’s flagship, was acquired. On May 24, 1923, the club bought the leased land for $6,500. During this time, major improvements were made: the lagoon lengthened, the “humpback” footbridge across the lagoon built, a ballroom added to the clubhouse, a playground, a boathouse, and a marine railway to facilitate moving boats for winter storage.
In the 30s the ladies of the club organized the Shipmates to plan improvements to the clubhouse and promote the social programs. Pearl Braddock was the first Captain. In the 40s the club obtained its liquor license, which enhanced the potlucks and other entertaining, although the family environment continued to be supported. An important addition to the club constitution: “All powers and interests in the Club and its property not expressly granted to the officers or duly constituted committees of the Club are reserved to the members.” The club members had always owned, developed, and managed the club and that theme continues to this day.
Over the years, new buildings were erected, moved, and torn down to make way for newer buildings, with members doing much of the work. Local companies (Lay and Matthews, for instance), many of the owners and officers members, contributed their specialties to the club’s growth. When the lagoon was no longer safe for swimming, a pool was added. Boating classes, especially for young people, became regular offerings. Dues were raised in increments, membership limits were revised, and new activities such as regattas, carnivals, trophy championships and other traditions were developed. No matter the era, however, the concept of family has remained the heart of the Port Clinton Yacht Club.



Comments