top of page

The Marblehead Mile (Article 17) - Lorrie Halblaub

  • Aug 4
  • 2 min read

In this series we are taking an historical look at an area that covers approximately a mile of Main Street in downtown Marblehead. Heading east from the Village limits, we will discover the facts and the stories of how Marblehead became what it is today. [This is #17 in the series]

 



Next to the VFW were two buildings that were combined into one. They are now the home of the Marblehead Soap Company and the Dziak Gallery at 417 W. Main St.  The right side of the building was once the meeting place for the Knights of Pythias.  We no longer have the Knights of Pythias on the Peninsula,  but still have other fraternal organizations like the Kiwanis, Knights of Columbus, and the Lions Club.

 






The Knights of Pythias was founded in Washington, D.C in 1864.  Its aim was to heal the wounds from the splitting of our nation into North and South during the Civil War.  The name was inspired by a play, written by Ireland’s John Banim, about the Greek legend of Damon and Pythias.  The Knights of Pythias ideology promoted loyalty, honor, and friendship. It was an international, non-sectarian organization and the first fraternal order to be chartered by an Act of Congress. Their purpose was to support our military and do charitable work.  In 2003 the order had 2,000 lodges around the world and over 50,000 members. There used to be a lodge in almost every city and town in Ohio, but now there are just a few active lodges.  Back in their heyday they sponsored dances and fundraising events.  Female members were known as the Pythian Sisters.

 

The left side of this building was once an A & P Grocery store. The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company started in 1859, and went bankrupt in 2015. All stores were closed by 2016. Next, that part of the building was the private home of John Kokinda, a quarry worker. His daughter said that he built their kitchen cabinets out of the wood from the quarry dynamite boxes.  Then the home was turned into a gift shop by Ronald and Essie Blackburn. 

 

In 1981, both buildings were purchased by the famous local artist Ben Richmond and his wife, Wendy.  They joined the buildings and turned the upstairs into their home and the downstairs into the Richmond Gallery.  Next month you will learn more about Ben Richmond.


Comments


Recent Posts
Archive

© 2026 Ida Rupp Public Library

Search our site:

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon
bottom of page